Thursday, June 18, 2009

I'll throw it out there...





"Hey Mike, aren't you blogging anymore?"

I'm sorry. I've received several emails like this.  I have been silent for a while. 

It's not because I've run out of things to say.  To the contrary, I've probably started, then stopped, at least a dozen new blogs.  I have a great deal that I would like to say. What I've struggled with, ergo my silence, is what I should say.

I started blogging because I had all these ideas, all this stuff, just sitting in my head and on my hard drive collecting intellectual dust. I didn't know if any of it had any merit; I didn't know if it was any good, so I thought...let's just throw it out there and see what happens.  I didn't really expect much. Then I received my first comment. I was floored. Then a second, a third.  Then I started finding references to my blog that I didn't know existed; references that indicated, to my silent surprise, that some of the things I'd written moved and inspired. 

Wow. 

Suddenly, I began to feel a measure of responsibility.  I didn't want to just add to the white noise that too often characterizes the ongoing, and annoyingly circuitous, dialogue about educational reforms; I wanted to say something of merit, of substance.  I wanted to add something of value--especially for the teachers who I believe are on the front lines of our efforts at educational reform. And as I scanned through my first wave of blogs, I realized that I didn't really talk much about technology per se.  I didn't talk about the newest or most interesting hardware and software. I didn't identify specific instructional uses of technology.  As I read through the posts, one by one, I realized that I essentially offered commentary.

But is that okay?  Is that enough?

A few weeks ago, my company, Smart Technology Services, launched a new Smart Tech Blog "that covers technological trends, design elements, and marketing schemes that affect us in the office, on the street, and at home."  The blog is written by our marketing manager, Jeff Wichmann. Jeff writes in a concise and informative style; with his own unique wit.  You should check it out or add it to your blog roll.

Of course, this still begs the question, what do I do?  Where is my place?  What can I add that is of meaning and value?

I guess, in the end, I have to trust what's in my heart.

I could, I suppose, talk more about widgets and gadgets, but there are already a number of people doing that far better than I ever could.  I could, I suppose, focus more on curriculum design and alignment strategies, and I will certainly do more of that in the future, but again, there are already a number of bloggers out there doing that far better than I ever could.  

So I will continue to offer commentary.  

I will continue to do what I think, what I hope, has some value to you.  Because once again, I find that I have all these ideas, all this stuff, sitting in my head and on my hard drive.  
 
So I'll throw it out there.

And we'll see what happens.


 
  

3 comments:

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

YES, do that. There are plenty of folks blogging about the latest and greatest gadget. We read you because you blog from your heart and we know what you're saying is genuine and relevant no matter how much or how little access to technology we have.

Nate St. Pierre said...

Finally. I've been waiting for you to come out of your doldrums and get back to inspiring people to think about things that are really important. That's the value you provide, Mike. You help inspire others to use THEIR talents to advance the cause. So get to it. :)