Thursday, February 19, 2009

Why do you teach?


It seems to me that this must be a tough time to be a teacher. You're underpaid, largely unappreciated and, as a group, teachers often bear the brunt of criticisms directed at the state of our schools. I can't imagine what it must be like to walk a mile in your shoes.

My mother was a teacher. She taught English for over 20 years at a public high school on the West side of Chicago. For 20 years, she woke up before the crack of dawn, after grading papers and preparing lesson plans into well into the evening, to drive from our home on the South side of Chicago to her school on the West side of Chicago. She never seemed discouraged or sad, yes, there were moments of frustration, but she seemed to believe in what she was doing. I know that she took pleasure in helping "her kids." I know she took genuine pleasure in their success. I know she lamented their failures. I know she cared. She never made much money, but I know her students mattered to her. One of her former students still corresponds with my mother to this day. Mom calls her "the daughter I never had."

But times have changed. Schools seem, I don't know, somehow colder....less personal. It seems to be so much harder to reach students these days. When I visited my mother's former school a few years ago, so many of the kids (if "kids" is indeed the right word) seemed, I don't know, distracted...indifferent...angry. Resources are scarce. Professional development is lacking. The "thank you's;" the pats on the back, seemed few and far between.

When I was growing up we revered our teachers. Now, we seem to revile them. I don't know why.

This morning I read a beautiful post on Terry Shaw's blog reprinting something he found in a newspaper in Galena, Illinois: "Why do you work so hard for your students."

So I'm curious. What about you?

Why do you teach?

I'd really like to know....

Why do you work so hard for your students?

3 comments:

TJ Shay said...

Thanks for sharing my post. The item was actually a print I bought in a store that I referenced and it really hit me.

I LOVE what I do! I love that I can be the difference in the classroom and in some kids' lives. Every day is a challenge and I think, for me, it is the feeling of being undervalued by society and even adults in my school.

I have forged lasting relationships with students and am proud that some of the graduates are now friends. I have been very lucky in that way. My no-nonsense / tough love approach works for some kids.

Early in my career I had a student who had graduated track me down to say I had saved his life... When thinking of suicide, he remembered something I had said. Well, if I ever needed courage and tenacity for a long struggle, I gained it there.

What I do matters. Surely I could make more money in a different job....but at the end of my days, I want to reflect on the beauty I have had a hand in...the beauty that is those dear people I got to teach every day. That joy is worth more than any amount of money or praise.

Your mom must have been amazing!

Becky Herl said...

I teach to make a difference. I enjoy being in the classroom. I like to explore new ways to integrate technology into the classroom and love teaching my students how to use that technology.

Anonymous said...

I am involved in teaching to make a difference ... if it means that only one person would have found the way, it was worth the effort.